Monday, January 14, 2013

Do You Hear the People Sing?

There has been a crescendo of music in my life the past couple of weeks. Last night my dad and I stayed up far too late talking about the evolution of rock and fashion and watching videos. And then of course, I saw Les Miserables for a second time and I've been humming more than usual. My whole body is just itching with the urge to belt out!

Now, bear in mind, I am a stage frightened person. I love performing in groups, but I choke if a solo even looks my way. I've done two in my life, and they were very hard for me, and they annoyingly never turn out to be the best I'm capable of.  I am an innately shy person.

This music is burning inside me, just itching to get out, and I'm in need of an outlet. I want very badly for that outlet to be a church outlet...

I attend a very traditional Baptist church.  I adore my church family deeply, but like all of us they have their problems. Their biggest problem is comfort. They are incredibly comfortable. Consequently, tradition is highly valued.  And that bleeds over into... worship music.

Music is a language of the soul. The entire physical process if making and appreciating music is practically miraculous. The human experience that is music is so amazing in itself. I love music. My soul breathes music. I'm not all that. Creative or terribly talented but oh how I love it. How I just feeel  feeel! But not at my church.
The music minister is like a second father to me. I even went caroling with his family over Christmas and the harmonies and blending and love was so magical. He tries so hard to please and be wise and get people to worship, but its just... dead.
Few people are singing in their seats.
The choir are the only people standing.
There's barely any joy in the place.
Few smiles.
Just... dead.
I've been places where the music starts and people jump to their feet cheering, hands high when they feel it, and there is just an encouragement of love and worship and praise!
There's more praise going on at a Justin Bieber concert than at my church, and its left me starving.
Music is bursting out of me all day for weeks because I want to praise God. And I feel singled out and weird doing that at my church. It is so sad. I couldn't even get over the old songs if people were just worshipping!

I have so much hope resting on this coming year. Hopes that include my church becoming a house of worship once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment