Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013

My soul belongs to God, I know
I made that bargain long ago
He gave me hope when hope was gone
He gave me strength to journey on...


There was a shadow over this year for me.  But, I've gotten over the need to whine about it (I do that far too often anyway ;), and decided to take all those things that made 2012 bad and hard, and to instead list the good that came out of them.  List the good of this year, not the bad.  Because God reconciles all things for those who love him, and he is faithful.  So in that spirit, 2012...


My two best friends happily married the loves of their lives last year.
Their weddings gave me a LOT of practice!
I was blessed with a job I love.
I learned that I'm better at that job than I thought, and not as good at that job as I thought.
Les Miserables.  The Hobbit.  Both very important good things!
I learned that guilt is something that is reigning over me like a slave master, and not always for things I myself have actually done.
I learned to appreciate my grandparents so much more while they're here, and I love them so much more passionately.
My church is making some long-awaited changes, and I have hope that God is going to do wonderful things this coming year.
I have gained respect, and learned how perspective and littleness of mind are things to be carefully guarded.
I've been able to see in my grandparents how a Christ-exalting marriage after 58 years and counting is so much better than any other kind of marriage.
I've actually touched some kids lives and learned to love and appreciate them more when I was all but ready to give up on them because they're not the "smart kids".
I can see how awesome my sister has always been and continues to be.  She's amazing.
I've learned that true love, no matter what happens or what is uncovered about people, absolutely never ever goes away.
I've seen how communication and respect and kindness are key to relationships of any kind.
That's why God wants us to talk to him, too.
I was reminded tonight that my problems are small compared to some, and that I have been given years when some only have months, and that it is a sin to waste that time.
I see my parents in very different lights than I used to, and I think God is using this to teach my humility and prepare me for my own future.
I've traveled.  And I really must do that more!
My heart has been so full, and in how I responded to that I can see that I don't like the person I have become, and that is because I'm doing it all on my own.
I am more blessed than I remember day to day.

So, 2013 has begun!  I'm glad last year is over.  But, I have also seen that a lot of my problems are of my own doing.  This is the part where I list my resolutions, but really I have only one.  The same one I will have for the rest of my life! :)



God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.


2 comments:

  1. Hey something is wrong with your font. It has white behind it and is really hard to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man! Its because I pasted that Les Mis quote. :S I shall fix it tomorrow! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete