Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why I'm Not Catholic

Every once in a while these topical issues start trending.  My Facebook tonight showed me two very interesting and absolutely different perspectives.

I myself posted this status:
"For some weird reason that has absolutely NO theological basis, I get really excited about Conclave! Something about the tradition of it. Habeant papam ;) #history #latinnerd"

Both of these perspectives come from very intelligent and seemingly introspective people, and they got me thinking.

Perspective #1 (guy I knew briefly through the -Protestant- Christian summer camp I worked at several years ago):
[in response to the above status]
"I did too in 2005, 6 years before I became Catholic. I am twice as excited now."

This got me thinking.  I was always really curious why anyone would sincerely convert to Catholicism.  What appeals to me is the history, the gorgeous buildings, the majesty of thousands of years of tradition that the Catholic Church embodies.  But, then I remembered that the tradition that appealed to me was countered by the corruption that drove me away.

Perspective #2 (guy I know from when I studied abroad in Oxford several years ago):
[his own Facebook status, edited for space]
"So, I posted a status today about the Pope. It was snarky, insulting, and frankly, really funny. I did this because I believe that the Catholic church, as a world influence in our current point in history, is damaging. It shelters abuses and hatred of all variety, and on a personal level, it represents a major institution in the world that systematically dehumanizes me, and others who identify as homosexual around the globe, and acts as an anchor dragging down the upward progress of human evolution... I am not kind when you speak to me of these people, and their claimed lineage to a mythic Christ figure... if you are a friend of mine celebrating the papal inauguration, and the abuses they have carried out and made no recompense for do not taint their character and impugn their claims of divine patronage, we will probably not have nice conversations. I am terrible, and fierce. And they are wrong...[he deleted the previous post and explained why] I am shooting you, hoping to injure the Pope..."

Homozexuality and the Catholic Church seem to be inseparable as of late. I stand with the second man only so far as that he points out that the church has really made no strides in curbing, being transparent, or punishing abuses and corruption inside.  I also think that their reliance on tradition often holds them back from the true gospel calling.  The second man believes that any organization that holds back homosexuals is abusive and dealing in evil.  This is a heartbreaking issue, and I truly do understand his argument as much as I possibly can without being gay myself.  I have people who are very close to me who are gay, and my heart breaks for them.  Christians ought to stand for love and dignity for all people, and we are very bad at doing that often.

The issue from both perspectives comes down to this.  God created the universe with a certain rhythm.  He created it so that he could create us so that we could be loved and enjoy the best of things.  But something went wrong.  The universe was fractured.  It was fractured by humans choosing what they think is best for them, what they desire, over what is really best for them - God.  Ever after the world was corrupted.  We were corrupted.  Jesus of Nazareth came to fix that corrupt.  So we wait, leading others to believe in this Savior, until the world is fully mended.

I do not believe that there is only one church (there is only one family of God however), and I take issue with important points of Catholic doctrine.  But mainly, as a historian and as a Christian, I cannot stand with any institution or organization that is harmful, and corrupt in the highest degree.  I love my Catholic brothers and sisters, and I pray the new pope is truly a believer who will follow the calling of Christ, but I will never be a Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment