Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Diamond Shadows

I really enjoy British royalty... stuff.  Ever since I got home today I've been watching my recordings of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.  I am just so attracted to the pageantry.  There's something about the historicity of it all, and the commitment of the queen, and the pure beauty of it all.  


It's quite ironic actually due to my political persuasion that I should love this stuff so much.  I could never stand to be the subject of a monarchy, at least, not on this earth.  I disagree with it fundamentally on so many levels.  But... I really love the queen! :S  I love all this stuff.  








I think its a longing for things of the past.  A longing for something that happened once and is missing.  Part of it is social programming, but I think there's more to it than that.  It is remarkable that she has been on the throne now for sixty years.  In America, I feel as if we con't have a sense of time, and how young we really are.  Imagine, having a president for six decades.  She was barely older than I am now when she became queen.  And I know personally that I would hate to live in the public eye, with 400 engagements a year, with very little freedom, yet a lot of power.  I'd hate it.  But still... I just love this British stuff.  I always have.  There's an echo of the past, a shadow of things once transpired, that draws me in, and that I just enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment